Friday, March 15, 2013

The beginning, Bridal Venue, Bed and Breakfast, Hotel, Lodging, Newport / Middletown Rhode Island, Villa 120





How did this english woman come ashore in Newport Rhode Island?  A question which never seems to take long for customers to ask.  Why pick Newport?  Why a B&B?

Am I barking mad?!!  Sometimes I can assure you - I do ask myself this question - but 98% of the time I am where I want to be doing what I enjoy and living the american dream which frankly will never die .....unless your NOT prepared to work for it!

This journey has certainly had a few curve balls but if you know me you know I may sink but never drown!

Living in Wimbledon London was great, two young girls, a nice house in a good neighbourhood and only 30 minutes from central London via tube (the London underground).   I often met friends in London to visit the Tate, National Portrait Gallery, Covent Garden, Green Park, The Ritz, Kensington High Street to shop, not just for clothes but also lovely groceries the list can go on.  A night at the Theatre with pre dinner at Rules - the oldest restaurant in London that was actually frequented by Charles Dickens so they say - a warm, cozy, totally British affair - game at the top of its menu.  So why when I love London would I possibly want to leave - no it was not simply the weather!

Believe it or not I have had a yen for America since my early 20's - being a trolley dolly you get the joy of travelling the world the only ambition I had since throwing up all the way on a plane from London to Hong Kong aged 7 - even then I walked off the plane and exclaimed I was going to be a Stewardess or as they say now 'Cabin Attendant', much to everyones amusement!

The passion for travel has never ceased, a passion I have passed onto my girls and the one passion that still excites me.  Nothing educates you, opens up your mind more than exploring other countries, other people, their religion, their architecture, their traditions, core values etc etc etc.  Many times it is the most simple yet beautiful acts of kindness that leave and imprint on your life.  One of my most treasured and early memories was of Lan our housekeeper in Hong Kong.  Lan had six children and lived in a chinese village the area of the house was no larger than 40 square feet, that embraced living area, kitchen and bedroom.  There was a ladder to climb up to the sleeping area and downstairs became the living and eating area.  One year we were very honoured when Lan invited us to her home for Chinese New Year.  When I close my eyes I can still see everything as if it were yesterday, Lan's husband had taken off the front door so it could be our table.  Lan chased and cut the throat of the chicken and on her knees drained the blood and plucked the poor soul!  I was horrifed at the time but obviously not horrified enough to abstain!  The celebration was all about lifes most important gifts, people, food, love and laughter.  I recall liking the mooncake and being scolded for asking for more, Lan had very little yet she gave us a feast fit for a King but more than that she gave herself and a lasting memory of the true value of life.   Quite simple really - one wonders how and why so many people lose site of this.

Somehow I went astray - I guess that is where memory lane takes you.





                                                     

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment